Get suspended from the ceiling and move with grace with nothing but a piece of cloth.
What is aerial silk?
It’s a performance art where you move in mid-air using only your body and a piece of special fabric. You climb the fabric as if you’re using ropes and use it to wrap, suspend, swing, and spiral your body into and out of various positions.
Gear up. You need
– Comfy workout clothes, with leggings that cover the back of your knees and any tight-fitting top
– Short nails
– Go barefoot, jewelry-free, and moisturizer-free
– Water bottle to stay highdrated
– Have a light snack at least an hour before your training
– Keep an open your mind and be ready to learn
Day 1 of class.
Everything will be taught on the ground first before taking it off the floor once you’re ready.
– Meet greet between teacher and students
– Do warm-up exercises such as dynamic stretching, core excercises, warm-up climbs with the fabric)
– You’ll be taught how to mount and dismount the fabric, do’s and dont’s, safety precautions, and other essential information
– First things first. You’ll be first be made familiar with the fabric along with how to develop strength and condition
Basic moves to learn
– Basic climb
– Simple knots (single foot lock)
– Beginner moves such as standing hip lean, sitting hip lean, and figurehead
Worry not. Can’t do a pull-up? Feel like you’re not flexible? Worry not for you’ll develop those as you train.
Where to go to learn aerial silk. Elite Aerial Arts143 Maginhawa St., Sikatuna Village, Diliman, Quezon City.
All photos courtesy of Elite Aerial Arts